RE: Racing Wires

To: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Subject: RE: Racing Wires
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:18:41 -0700
Eric:

        New condition wire wheels and splines will take pretty much any
abuse you can throw at them.  This was evidenced in their fitment to the
Pirelli Rally challenge MGBs raced by Sterling Moss et al a few years ago.

        The 5 1/2" racing wheels are stronger than the stock ones and less
prone to spoke tension problems under extreme load, yet have the same spline
design as stock.

        The important thing is to make sure that your drive splines are in
excellent condition.  Usually you will find that the R Rear spline is really
iffy.  Under hard acceleration this can fail causing a loss of traction and
braking.  Iffy front splines can fail under braking causing inadvertant off
course excursions with associated rearranging of planar surfaces.

        Ok.  The statement is that with 5 1/2" wire wheels on new hubs you
can rule the world.  Now the reality is that you don't have new hubs, and
you don't have new wheels.  What you have are some worn out 48 spoke 4 1/2"
wheels on iffy splines.

        Based on your interest in reducing racing costs and increasing
safety.  And the fact that you have a Saulsbury axle assembly I would
suggest swapping to steel wheel hubs and throwing a set of used Datsun 240Z
rims on the car.  The conversion can be made for less than $150 if you shop
around and is a reversible bolt on.  The rear wheelbase will be a little
narrower than stock, but can be spaced out a bit if necessary with spacers.

        Get some time on the track without having to worry about spoke
tension or spline inspection.  If you want to go with the
historical/classical look, once you have experiencel save up for some good
wheels and install new spline drives.

Kelvin

65 MGB works replica   running 5 1/2" wire wheels