Misc Thoughts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Misc Thoughts
From: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@netdoor.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 22:06:17 -0500
I was driving home from dinner with a friend in the MG, and as we
crossed a set of railroad tracks, she asked me why I clutched when we
crossed the tracks.

She assumed that it was the same as young children holding their breath
as they cross a bridge.  In essence, she was right.

It  was five years ago when I first took my MG to college.  It was the
last day of the Spring semester, and I was about to leave to go home for
a summer of drudgery.  I was going to the mall to say good bye to a
friend, and as I crossed a set of railroad tracks, the driveshaft broke
loose from the rear end and pretzled itself underneath the car.

Dad had to drive down with a trailer and tow me home.  It was not the
first, nor was it the last time I came on on the 'hook'.   I was trying
to prove to my parents that the MG was reliable, and all my efforts were
undone by a set of railroad tracks.

It's obvious I still live with the scars.  Apparently, owning one of
these cars scars you for life.  That's why I still clutch as I go over
railroad tracks.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB
pokrefke@netdoor.com