New Aluminum Head

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: New Aluminum Head
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:09:10 -0700
Driving home from work the other day, I noticed a bit more valve
noise than I was used to and a miss at idle after things were good
and hot.  After dinner, I did a little diagnostic work and came up
with the very good possibility that I was looking at a sticking
valve.  I still should do a vacuum test to confirm it, but it got me
thinking about what to do if I was right.  I have never had this head
off, and don't know what the valve seats are made of, nor the guides.
Haven't magnifluxed it, either.  There's always the possibility of
putting a lot of work into it, and having it crack...

After a lot of debate with myself and a chat with my Significant
Other re: finances, I came to the decision to go for an aluminum
replacement head, non-cross flow type.  Since I'm not doing a full
rebuild, and it's a three main engine, I decided not to go the
serious Rimflow valve route, and would probably be getting a complete
early head with standard valves.  A look at the usual catalogs was a
bit disappointing, in that we're getting into serious money.  Even
the late iron head at VB was over $700 complete.  The APS hot street
heads with Rimflows were over $1000.

I called up Pierce Manifolds (408-842-6667) in Gilroy, CA, the
manufacturer of the alum siamese and crossflow heads that a number of
catalogs sell.  They quoted a price about $150 under what VB wants.
I'm hoping to get out there (I live about 30 miles away) in the next
week to pick one up (yeh, I could have it shipped, but it's a fun
drive).

Anyone  have any stories, good or bad, about aluminum B heads?
Chris Attias
'64 MGB
'84 Alfa Romeo GTV-6