Re: Changing Rear End Ratio in a TD

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Changing Rear End Ratio in a TD
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 19:58:27 EDT
On Mon, 9 Aug 1999 18:07:22 EDT BobMGT@aol.com writes:
>I've always shied away from highway driving in my TD. The engine just
>doesn't
>sound too happy at 4000rpm. I've finely decided to take the plunge and
>change
>the rear end ratio. My mechanic has an MGA parts car, and is ready to
>sell me
>any parts I need from the rear end. Are the ring and pinion gears the
>only
>two parts I'll need from the MGA?
>
>Also, what is the recommended ratio for highway driving? Here are the
>options
>I've found:
>
>    Standard TD 5.125   3900rpm @ 55mph (What I have now)
>    TD option       4.875   3700rpm @ 55mph
>    TD option           4.555   3470rpm @ 55mph (Gears available from
>Moss)
>    MGA             4.3     3300rpm @ 55mph
>    MGA             4.1     3120rpm @ 55mph
>
>My mechanic claims the MGA parts car has a ratio of 4.5, but I only
>see 4.3
>and 4.1 in the literature. Is he mistaken?
>
>Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
>EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
>52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
>71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336

Not strictly relevant to your question Bob but 2 weeks ago i had a short
drive of Ian Penders TD which has all MGB running gear except for the
rear end which is from a mustang (in preparation for V8 conversion which
has since been shelved) - The car just FLEW - really nice to drive so i
can attest to the mustang rear as a possibility!!
Rich Liddick was in the car with me and apart from not being able to hear
ourselves think (minimal muffling of the exhaust and no windscreen) we
managed to survive and have a blast!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT