Re: Whats the secret to putting the trans back on the engine??

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Whats the secret to putting the trans back on the engine??
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:40:31 -0700
Well, I don't know that there is a secret. Sometimes it just slides on in
there, and other times it's a real bear.

If the engine is on a hoist it would be helpful if you adjusted it so it
hangs perfectly level, so that the rear face is vertical (you may need to
set it down and readjust the chain). Then you might want to prop up the
trans on blocks and shim it so that its front face is vertical, and then
lower the engine until the height matches. Then just move the engine, and
keep the trans stationary (hard to align two moving objects). If it's
giving you problems, it's best to treat it as a NASA docking maneuver,
taking measurements, using a carpenter's square, moving it a little bit
at a time, etc. If it still won't mate, turn the shaft a tiny amount and
try again.

I have found it's very difficult to maintain the required precision
alignment when struggling with heavy objects (although occasionally you
get lucky); so that's why I'm recommending taking the time to carefully
suppport and line up everything as much as possible beforehand, and then
going slow.

Hope this helps.

Mgbreh@aol.com had this to say:

--