Re: My first LBC

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: My first LBC
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 14:40:56 -0700
Congrats! Sounds like a good catch.

The radio drain may be due to the fact that the modern radio is tapping
power to keep its memory alive even when switched off. This keeps the
station presets and CD programs in memory. If you can live without the
station presets you could rewire the radio to the ignition-on power
rather than the always-on power. This how my radio is wired -- since it's
a pull-out it loses its memory anyway.

Buy a good manual and trace the OD wiring yourself -- the circuit is very
simple so why spend the money on them? Use it to buy a good cover. Since
the OD went out about the time they installed the radio, I suspect they
either spliced into its hot wire (it's fairly fussy about resistance in
the circuit) or just knocked something loose.

The JC Whitney catalog has 4 or 5 grades of cover. The covers differ in
weight and toughness, bulk, softness (not to scratch the paint), water
resistance, UV resistance, breathability and price. You definitely need a
custom-fit one for a B since it is not at all the shape of a generic
compact. You didn't say where you lived, OH or GA? Either way, you
probably want the best one you can afford. Whitney basically has the same
brands as the fancy ads in the magazines, so it's a good source. Moss
carries covers as well.

Good luck with your new prize!

Erich had this to say:

--