Re: Stubborn kingpins

To: abadeker@tribune.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stubborn kingpins
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 18:47:00
At 09:39 AM 8/16/99 -0500, abadeker@tribune.com wrote:
>.... front-end rebuild of a 1600 A, I planned to swap the superior
kingpins in a set of 1500 knuckles for the somewhat chewed-up originals in
my 1600 knuckles.

> Lo, my local brake and clutch man was unable to extract the pins, giving
up at 25 tons of pressure. ....

> He was reluctant to try heat, because of losing the temper on the parts,

Heat applied in the correct manner should damage nothing.  Use an acetalyne
torch with a fairly large bore tip for a large flame.  Keep the heat away
fron the bearing spindle.  Heat the heal of the knuckle at the thinnest
point where it wraps around the swivel pin.  Heat it up as quickly as
possible without (melting the metal) until it is dull red.  At that point a
light tap with a hammer should have the swivel pin drop right out.  Allow
the parts to gradually air cool.  Do not quench them with water as that can
cause dramatic temperature variations through the part, resulting in very
uneven thermal distortion, resultin in cracks in the metal.

Good luck,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg