RE: How to check the oil pressure gauge - keep on cranking!

To: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>, john@rmartin.net
Subject: RE: How to check the oil pressure gauge - keep on cranking!
From: Hans Duinhoven <H.Duinhoven@simac.nl>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:28:45 +0200
Hi James and others who thought with my oil pressure,

The outcome is as J Walker suggested: do more cranking.
So I did. And yes: slowly the pressure went up to about 50 (middle of the
gauge).
I did this with all spark plugs removed, in order to have the starter motor
and the battery much less stressed.

The reason why i cost so much time to initially build the pressure is, that
the engine and oil cooler had been removed, so the oil pump had to fill the
oil cooler first, before the real pressure became available at the
transducer. (it really is an electric gauge!)

A warning and advice from this experience:
1
When I started this the engine was at the correct oil level.
After the moment the pressure was to be seen at the gauge, the oil cooler is
filled and the oil level was dropped to the minimum. So I have put in
another liter into the engine.
So after reassembling an engine into a working order it is important to have
the oil level checked!
2
When busy as a not really long experienced technician, I really have had
good feeling to do things one at a time. Initially building the oil pressure
after reassembly just by the startermotor cranking and not by a running
engine is I think a good way and avoiding wear.
3
Before I started the restoration job I had the engine oil and the filter
renewed, so the engine really was clean inside! After more than 8 years
rotating the engine goes easy!

Thank you all for the help.
All gauges seem to work now, so next time I'll have to make the fule pump
alive again.

Cheers,

Hans

'71 BGT - just needing fuel