Tacho question answered

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tacho question answered
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 23:48:57 -0500
As I have kindly been advised by a number of MG-Listers, apparently this
sort of tach senses current rather than voltage pulses, so instead of
bridging between ground and the distributor-to-coil connection, like all
of the other tachs I have, it passes that connection through the unit.
If it's faithful to the usual protocols, the energy source should be the
female connector, so I suspect it will be: wire that normally goes from
the distributor to the coil going to the male connector on the tach
instead, then a wire from the female connector on the tach to the coil.

A million thanks to everybody that responded on both lists.

Since the energy has to travel a lot further to get from the diz to the
coil, I suspect really heavy, low-resistance wire is best, so I'm
planning to use the same stuff I used for the ammeter connections.

Will report the results tomorrow.

I took The Luggage around the block today as his first official "feet
traveled." I have another few days work before he is really road-ready
(can't find the %^$#$@# safety-belt straps, etc. etc.)

When I put my foot down briefly, it literally snapped my head back; what
a little beast!!

-Rock
--
Rocky, JJ Cale Band & Pratchett Books: http://www.rocky-frisco.com