Re: Timing Light

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Timing Light
From: "Tony Woodruff" <tonyw@mailmedia.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 07:47:37 -0700
Well - you're all correct!  It works fine.  Don't know what Sears was thinking
- probably just avoiding calls to the support line.

I connected the black to the hot fuse box terminal (leads aren't nearly long
enough to reach the battery box) and the red to a grounded bolt in the engine
compartment and voila!

Now I must ask:  What were they thinking putting the timing marks on the bottom
of the engine!  Up on top to do an adjustment, down underneath to see the
results!

Thanks to everyone.

- Tony -

>>> <REwald9535@aol.com> 10/15/99 10:09:22 PM >>>
In a message dated 10/15/99 10:31:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tonyw@mailmedia.com writes:

> Anybody have any ideas on a way to use a regular timing light on a positive
> ground car?
>
>  My Sears timing light is VERY clear that it's only to be used on a
negative
> ground car.  My 67 MGB, of course, isn't!
Use it the same way you would use it on a negative ground car.  Red lead to
(+), and black to (-) The only difference is the red lead will be connected
to a ground point (positive ground remember?) and black to a "Hot".
Even if you get it backward every timing light I have ever seen is idiot
proof. (When half asleep preping for a race I've connected a few backwards)
If no flash recheck the leads and reverse if necessary.
Rick Ewald