Re: Missing VIN Plate/Chassis No.

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Missing VIN Plate/Chassis No.
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 16:41:24 -0700
Oh boy. If you don't know the year OR whether it's numbered as a B or a
C, the possibilities are too numerous to describe. I can only suggest you
pick up a copy of Clausager's "Original MGB, with MGC and MGB-V8" (ISBN
1-870979-48-6, Bay View Books) and start reading the Identification
section on page 120. Different years have ID plates in different
locations (sometimes more than one). Additional clues may be provided by
Body Number plates and Commission Number plates, also in various
locations. It also depends if it's a North American, Australian, or home
market car.

Then there are these considerations to do with a vehicle missing its ID
plate:
- it may be stolen, or have been previously stolen
- it may be a "kludge" made up of multiple wrecks
- can you get it registered in your jurisdiction?

Good luck....

Peter Edmands had this to say:

--

Max Heim