re: club apathy

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: club apathy
From: Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 23:27:41 -0600
I've been hanging around all types of cars since I was a kid, from old
american iron to wintage racers before being infected with the british car
bug a few years ago. While the cars were built in different parts of the
world, in different times, and are owned for many different reasons, there
are similarities between all the automotive hobbies.  The cars are there
because someone cares about them and wants to keep them alive.  It's my
observation that there are two ways to get a collector car.  One way is to
get out your checkbook, and buy one, either a complete car or paying
someone else to build it for you.  The streetrodders have a term for this
type of project, a 1-800-Streetrod.  The other way to get a car is to find
one sitting in someone's back yard, drag it home, and work on it yourself.
While the results are often not as perfect as having the work done by a
professional, it often means more to the owner, because he has blood and
sweat invested in it.  I've been restoring my '79 B for over two years now,
and every nut was personally tightened by me.  One reason that I'm doing it
myself is that I don't have the budget to send it out, but even if I had
unlimited resources, I'd still do it this way.  When I finally finish, it
will be MY car.  No other person can take credit or blame for how it turns
out, and I wouldn't want it any other way.  Of course, there are many, many
cars and owners that fall between there two types, as most people don't
have access to all the equipment or ability to do everything, and most
owners want to be involved at least a little in the work.
I don't mean to say that the do-it-yourself approach is better, but I do
like the spirit of it, it's what keeps the hobby alive, I think.   However,
it's often the way that some cars get really messed up and destroyed.  It's
the professional, high-dollar "trailer queens"  that show us what these
cars were when they were new, and can be again.  I've heard complaints that
there aren't any younger members coming into some clubs.  Maybe the problem
is that the group  doesn't support the kind of car that can be built on a
low budget.  It's something to consider.  Maybe we need fewer car shows,
and more events centered around driving the car, and maybe a few help
sessions working on the cars.  I'm 31, and bought my first LBC when I was
24. I've never joined any british car club, and maybe that's why.  If
you're afraid to drive your car, maybe it's a little TOO perfect.  Me, I'll
take the slightly ratty-looking car with 100,000 miles on it, and see if I
can roll the ododmeter over again.  I think I'll enjoy  myself more.  Let's
get some more events for the drivers. OK?
Sorry for the length, I tend to go on about things I care about.

Calvin K.