Re: getting wired (wheels, that is)

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: getting wired (wheels, that is)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:35:50 -0700
Hmmm, I don't know about this fad for highlighting brake parts to be seen
through the wheels. I mean, it started with Porsches, which have
enormous, beautifully machined alloy Brembo components. Then I started
seeing it on Hondas, where it looks silly with their tiny calipers and
discs. But when you apply it to LBCs, with their rough-finished, clunky
(relatively) iron calipers and drums (fer gawdz sake), I don't care what
color you paint them, they just aren't very aesthetic. Better to draw
attention to the wheels and hide the brakes, I say. On that subject, I
tend to think the entire wheel is best treated as one object (all the
same color), or it looks too busy. I always disliked those BBS wheels
with the silver rims and gold spokes. But apparently thousands of people
like that look, so who am I to differ?

Of course, some people also like gold-plated badges, wrinkly black
front-end disfigurements (AKA "bras"), phoney canvas-look "convertible"
top treatments on 4-door sedans, shiny chrome fender flare trim, gold
chain license plate frames, dark purple tinted windows, ad infinitum...

Rick Feibusch had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149