Charging Problems-Bad Harness?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Charging Problems-Bad Harness?
From: Speedo79@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 23:46:52 EDT
Dear Listers,

The ignition light for my '77 MGB started coming on last week.  It would
flicker whenever the engine got above 3500 rpms, then it started coming on at
lower rpms as well.  I checked the voltage across the poles of the battery
with the car on and off, and found no difference.  I pulled the year old
rebuilt alternator, and had them check it at Kragen-no juice...NONE!
I bought a new alternator from them (with lifetime warrenty-I made sure!) and
installed it last Monday...Yesterday the alternator stopped charging, and I
got stranded at school with a dead battery.  After the tow home, I pulled the
alternator and had it tested again-charging fine, but he offered to replace
it anyways.  I brought the new alternator home, charged the battery over
night, and still no difference in voltage at the battery.
Where should I start looking?  Should I start pealing back the blue wrap from
the wiring and save up for a new harness?  Any recomendations are welcome!

Steve Sanchez
PS.  Where should I start looking for a new harness?  Moss is prohibitively
expensive.