Re: Oil Cooler in MGA

To: "Michael P. Ohleger" <movlas2@gte.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Cooler in MGA
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 19:18:01
At 10:11 AM 10/24/99 -0400, Michael P. Ohleger wrote:
>I have a spare 12 row oil cooler from an early MGB that I would like to
fit to my MGA 1600.  Anyone have any experience at this and is it a good idea?

Most MGAs have survived about 4 decades without an oil cooler, but it's
still good insurance.  Pretty cheap as well, as you already have the
cooler.  Hose kits are about $60 from Victoria British, and probably
available elsewhere as well.  You might want to count those rows again.
Most of the MGA (all years) and MGB (64 to 74-1/2) oil coolers are 13 row.

I autocross my MGA a lot, and also tow a small trailer for many thousands
of miles each year.  In other words, my MGA engine works harder than most.
I installed an oil cooler before this car took the trailer for its first
long road trip, and before I got very serious about autocrossing.  Under
the circumstances, I have enough trouble with my car keeping the connecting
rod bearings in tact, so I wouldn't think of letting it go without an oil
cooler.

For normal driving without towing or racing, or for low mileage cars, I
don't suppose the oil cooler makes much difference (unless you spend a lot
of time in the dessert or such).  But then who in their right mind wouldn't
drive one of these things with a heavy foot?

Yeehaa!!!  Just back from another autocross.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg