52TD Cyl Head stuck

To: MGlist <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 52TD Cyl Head stuck
From: Adam Arabian <arabian@allegronet.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 22:56:20 -0400
All,
    Working on my 52 TD and tried to get the cylinder head off today and
had zero luck.  All the bolts are removed per visual inspection and
workshop manual (The rear head cover plate is still on, but I don't
think that would impede the release of the head).  According to the
workshop manual you should loosen it up with, er, purcussive pursuasion
(hit it with a hammer - with a block of wood between to soften the blow)
but this did nada to it.  I tried lifting it from the visible edges of
the casting but to no avail (engine is still mounted in the car, and we
actually were lifting the car up instead of breaking it loose).

    I'm assuming that its just that the gasket has turned to glue after
sitting for 30 years.  Any thoughts?  Bigger hammer?  Bolts I might have
missed that need to be removed?

Thanks,
Adam Arabian