from the bouncing needle to the whine

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: from the bouncing needle to the whine
From: Benjy Edwards <edwards.181@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:47:25 -0400
Seems like a lot of people on this list have experienced the bouncy
needle in their MGB speedo.  I too have had this for a while, but now I
think it's progressed to a shrieking noise as well.
The noise is definitely speed-dependent: it starts at about 20 mph and
continues until the speed drops below 15 mph.  I'm not sure it's the
speedo, but it seems likely - maybe the cable is really dry now and it
whines as it spins around.  Also, it seems to go away once the engine is
warmed up, but then sometimes it doesn't.
I tried to lube it yesterday, but I had great difficulties.  First I
tried getting to the speedo end of the cable, but there's so much stuff
behind the dash and there's not much room, so I didn't manage to get the
cable off the back of the gauge.  Then I tried jacking up the car and
getting at it from where it plugs into the gearbox, but then when I
started to remove it I realized that without draining the oil it was all
going to leak out, so I gave up.  Which way is the least painful to lube
the cable?  Anybody have any good tips?  Thanks.

Benjy Edwards.
edwards.181@osu.edu
1968 MGB MkII