Re: "Tuning the A-Series engine"

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "Tuning the A-Series engine"
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:14:46 -0500
Baker, G. wrote:

> Anyone,
>   Has anyone read or even seen Vizards book "Tuning the A-series
> engine"?
> They want $28 for it which is OK if it's not something that's in all the
> other books.
>   Another book I haven't got is "How to build, modify and power tune
> cylinder heads" by Burgess.  His other book is certainly worth the money
> so what's the scoop of this one.
>   Thanks for the response.
> Gregg Baker

I have an earlier edotion of what the Mini-listers call TBASE or
sometimes "the bible."  (Tuning British Leyland's A-Series Engines) The
new edition is just now becoming available, months behind schedule. The
reception on the Mini-List was varied, some roses, some cow-pies, but
most of the complaints were about subjects people thought should have
been covered rather than any errors.

Everything I have ever bought from the two magic Davids (Apted/Vizard)
has been almost miraculous in effect on performance, so I tend to listen
pretty carefully to what they say.

The biggest complaints stem from a misunderstanding: the very earliest
Mini-hop-up information in the first book was excellent for the Minis
then available, all 850s, but didn't always translate well onto the 998s
and 1275s. Some people blamed these failed efforts on David or the book,
when the problem was engine size. later editions have brought that
information up to date each time. I plan to buy the new one. I have a
link to it on Amazon, both the US and UK sources, on my pages:
http://home.earthlink.net/~rockyfrisco/vizard.htm

-Rock
--
Rocky, JJ Cale Band & Pratchett Books: http://www.rocky-frisco.com