Re: Vibes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vibes
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:18:15 +0000
Lonn wrote:

> Are you running wires?  I used to get a "clonk" upon application of
> the brakes when the splines were loose.  And an out-of-true
> condition will definitely give you the shimmy.  Just a thought.

Nope... this is definitely not a spline clonk.  I know that one really
well :-)

This doesn't happen when stopping (no serious decelleration required) or
changing direction - it happens just barely after I have put my foot on
the brakes and will even give a slight "double clonk" if I turn the
wheels (left or right) at the same times.

It is not a very loud clonk, but you feel it and hear it.

My doctor has now said that he feels it is kingpin play but I will get
that sorted out before my next racemeet in a fortnight.  I guess we will
try to address the vibration then but who knows, maybe it has been
happening before and I am just becoming a little more sensitive to my
little car.  Treating her a little rough can mean that I am always
listening/feeling for signs of the next impending disaster :-)

Having said that... when I compare her now to when I got her over a year
ago she really does feel stronger than ever in all other ways (you just
seem to get a 'sense' of this - it is nothing I can really describe).

Eric
'68MGB MkII