Re: Veteran's Day Essay

To: richard.arnold@juno.com, mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Veteran's Day Essay
From: Tomsjetta@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 00:27:10 EST
Thanks for the repost of the essay, I'm glad I caught it this time around.

I'm not a vet, and there was never any threat that I would be called into the
draft. For many American men, I realize this is, in many cases, quite
remarkable. The list has often brought up the fact that not many young folk
are into MG's (I'm 26), but I want to assure you all of you, this young man
has not been quick to forget the sacrifices the armed forces made for this
country.

My dad served in the Korean DMZ in '69 right after marrying my mother, and
remained in the Army Reserves until he retired as a Lt. Col. a few years ago.
He was this close to being called to the Persian Gulf in '92. Before him, my
Grandfather was a Pearl Harbor survivor from the USS Pennsylvania. in WWII;
his brother was in infantry.

My point is, I am the first in my family to not have to face the peril of war
in quite a long time. Remarkable, maybe, but I know it is because of the men
who fought before my time that made this possible. My hat is off to all of
you who served this country.

On a lighter note, WWII did clear the way for the MG market in America, which
is not a bad thing. When my Grandfather returned from the Pacific, he totally
fell in love with all T-series MG's. It was his dream car, but he never did
buy one. Granted, I could not afford to buy one myself, but in a way, my
Midget is a tribute to his lifelong desire to own an MG.

I took my little BRG LBC to work one day; a co-worker, big on NASCAR and
American iron approached me about the car, to my suprise, only to hear that
when he served in Europe he owned an MGA. Later that same day, another
employee told me he had a Spitfire he had hoped to bring back to the States
while he was on duty. Minor stuff, but hey, I thought it was cool.

So, there's my $0.02, make of it what you will...

Tom
78 Midget