Re: Starting probs.

To: "M. Edwin Vaughan" <edvaughan@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starting probs.
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:08:15 -0000
This sounds like a rubber bumper car with ballasted ignition.  The coil
normally runs at 6v, but during cranking gets full battery voltage from the
solenoid on the white/blue.  Therefore if the normal ignition circuit
(ignition - white - ballast resistance wire in the loom - white/blue - coil)
is bad then the coil only gets any voltage when the engine is being cranked.

However in your case you say you have a spark but suspect it may be weak.
This could be caused by a bad condenser/capacitor in the distributor, the
'boost' voltage from the solenoid being enough to run the engine but not the
normal voltage.  If you have a look at my web site ('Spanners', 'Electrics',
'Won't Start' then 'It starts but cuts out again when I release the key')
you will find a method of testing it.  Alternatively just substitute it,
they aren't that expensive.  But if you have the points with the two
insulated washers and the nut, make sure you assemble everything correctly
again.  Basically everything except the nut goes between the two insulated
washers, which are stepped, and the narrow end locates the points spring and
capacitor and coil lead tags.  If any of these make contact with the
baseplate, stud or nut the car won't run at all.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
(or if that URL doesn't work try   )
(http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1)