Re: Ghost in the machine, part deux

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ghost in the machine, part deux
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 20:32:49 -0500
Dear List, and Tab Julius:

I eventually invested in a blanking plate :(

Maybe I am electrically challenged (I only took five physics courses, but
none of them included any actual real-life lessons!)  Alas, after several
weekends of fiddling with a radio for the Midget, the best I could do was
get it to work at all times, except when the turn signal is flashing.  And I
damaged the ground for my center console light in the process (still haven't
been able to fix it yet).

I suspect that a prior owner's poor quality electrical fix is to blame,
perhaps a relay was added (or removed) improperly. The wires that were in my
console were black and red, as opposed to several other colors that the
original harness supposedly included.

Perhaps a major wiring diagnostic project would clue you in to the source of
the problem.  Another idea, which I have yet to try, is to simply run a
direct line off of the hot terminal to power the radio.  You'd just have to
remember to turn it off when the car is turned off.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com