Re: Delurk and Rot Repair Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Delurk and Rot Repair Question
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <movlas2@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 10:52:34 -0500
Bill,

There are many schools of thought here.  One problem that you face is that you
ARE dealing with the structural integrity of the car when you replace the
sills.  I have experience where one side of the car was nearly 2 inches longer
than the other due to a DPO bodge job, but that's another story.  You are far
wiser to replace the sills and repair cross member first, then tackle the floors
last.  The importance is that the car will be "true" before you insert the
floors, which makes for a much easier installation.  The cross member should be
probed carefully, what looks like surface rust can go all the way through.
Frankly, when it comes to structural welding, I'd leave that to a professional
shop.  That way you should get a guarentee and can rest assured that the
integrity of the car (and the weld) isn't compromised.  As far as the doors are
concerned, if you are DIY, leave'em on.  Alignment of the body is easier.
You'll note that the Haynes book shows all of this work being done in a
professional shop, that's why the doors are off, since they have the skills and
the tools to accomplish the tasks at hand.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Michael Ohleger
67 MGB
70 MGB
61 MGA