Re: Dot 3 or Dot 4 Brake fluid

To: "Enrique Claure" <spaninc@ceibo.entelnet.bo>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dot 3 or Dot 4 Brake fluid
From: "British Sportscar Center" <mgpa@calweb.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:55:49 -0800
We have seen several instances where using American DOT 3 brake fluid in
English brake systems has caused the rubber seals to rot. If you want to
check your system, try putting one of the same type of brake seals as you
have in your master cylinder or wheel cylinders in a jar, submerged in the
brake fluid you want to use. If the seal remains unaffected after a few
weeks, then it's probably OK. However, this test has reduced seals to a
spongy mess when we have tried it!

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center