Re: MG-T numbering question

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: Re: MG-T numbering question
From: "British Sportscar Center" <mgpa@calweb.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 12:40:11 -0800
Charles........

The suffix EXU refers to the 1949 models that were made especially for
export to the USA. They had 7" headlights instead of the earlier 8" lights,
bumpers fore and aft, two horns under the hood instead of the traditional
Altette mounted on the badge bar, and turn signals! This was such an
innovation for the TC that the engineers didn't get it quite right. At the
rear they used the same two lights that were the brake lights, at the front
a twin-filament bulb in the parking light (OK so far). However, they
separated the turn and brake function with two simple relays wired in such a
way that the front turn signals also lit up when the brakes were
applied............!

The number 10006 tells that this was the 9755th TC built (numbering started
at 251, the Abingdon phone number of the MG factory) so it was one of the
last, rather than one of the first TCs built.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center