MG TF Starting Questions

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>, MG T List <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG TF Starting Questions
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 08:29:24 -0600
After I get done with a few chores around the house I plan try and start
my "new '55 MG TF 1500.  After oiling the cylinders and valve train and
turning the engine over by hand (hopefully turn it over by hand, since
it has been sitting for a long time!), I would like to try and get it
running.  What are the proper starting techniques?  It looks as if the
starter is activated by pulling on a dash mounted knob - does the
ignition key have to be turned on for the starter to turn (I don't have
the key right now so I will have to "hot wire" it).  Do you have to
press the throttle while cranking on it?  The '39 Chevy we bought last
month has a floor ,mounted starter button that mechanically engages the
starter and opens the throttle about 30% at the same time.

I see from looking at a few on-line catalogs that I will have to learn
how to reline brake shoes (no more brake shoe sets for $16.95 per axle
like on my MGB!!), has anyone done that themselves and is it difficult?

Thanks for the info.

Kevin Brown  '55 MG TF 1500 RHD, '71 MGB, '64 MGB, '74 TR6, '39 Chevy
Odessa, MO