MG Magic (long)

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG Magic (long)
From: grhacker@wfl.fha.dot.gov (Gary R Hacker)
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 10:49:47 -0800
The "MG Magic subject" is very close to my heart.  Understanding and
appreciating and thinking about  it, brought back  some very powerful
memories for me.  I suppose my definition of it would be "glue".  It is
the "glue" that holds and attracts people together with a common passion
or interest and that could be called "Triumph Magic" or "Old Book Magic"
or "Gardening Magic" or you could go on forever.  "MG Magic" began to
influence and color my life when I was about thirteen years old.
Growing up without a father, my Uncle Red was a strong influence in my
life.  Considered rather odd in his choice of automobiles in our
midwestern home town, he owned and drove Peugeots, Borgwards, Renaults,
Reily's and of course, MG's.  The red MGA roadster he drove me around in
at age thirteen (I was the 1st passenger) on the day he bought it, is as
clear to me as it was when it happened 40 years ago.  He took me to
Elkhart Lake to see the first battle between the Cobra's and the
'Vettes.  The love he shared with me of sports cars gave me a strong
male influence that allowed me to view his life and teach me the values
of honesty and hard work and sharing.  Years later, just back from
Vietnam, I bought my first MG.  Because of it, I met John and Carol
Walsh in Alexandria, Virginia.  Two of the best friends I have ever
had.  John was a great mechanic and he and Carol gave me a set of tools
for Christmas in 1967, some of which I still have.  Where are you now,
John and Carol?  That MGA is long gone, but the memories are as present
as today.  When I was finally able to buy an MGB last year, the first
time I parked it in the garage, I got that wonderful feeling of a
simpler time and place, where life just wasn't as complicated as it is
today for most of us.  When I drive the MG or work on it, the years roll
away and the joy is still there because of the people, past and present
that create the "MG  Magic".  Thanks to Paul Hunt, Barney Gaylord, Rick
Ingram, Bud Krueger, Lawrie Alexander, Kelvin Dodd and I think I could
go on and on, "MG Magic" is truely  people with a love or passion that
wish to help and share it with others.

Bob Hacker
1975 MGB
Vancouver, Washington