Re: Moss Motors

To: BOB HILL <oldcars@newt.vallnet.com>
Subject: Re: Moss Motors
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:22:42 -0500
As a credit card merchant myself, I can tell you that for each transaction,
including a refund, there is an approval/confirmation code, and Moss should
certainly have records of each CC transaction they submit.  It may be a
long way from the sales department to the accounting department, but
somewhere there is the transaction code.

1) Ask Moss to give you the date/time/approval code of the posting so you
can fix it with the credit card company.  If they can provide all three
(and not just looking on the computer to see when it was "requested" by
customer service), then you can call the CC company.  Chances are, though,
that customer service has no idea how this stuff ends up getting posted and
it may be more trouble than it's worth.  But until they can prove they
refunded it, no point in hassling the CC company.

2) However, if they can't or won't find this info, then contact the credit
card company and dispute the charge.  Some require this in writing
(instructions should be on the back of your statement).  There is a time
limit after which you can no longer dispute a charge (like 6 months, I
think).  If you haven't paid the charge yet, don't - pay your remaining
charges only. However if you have, it's no big deal.  Write a letter to
your card company and state that you are disputing a charge for $X from
Moss Motors (or however it posted) on such-and-such a date and time, and
give the posting ID# if one appears on your statement.  Tell them the item
was returned and a refund was supposed to be issued but was never received.
 Upon receipt of the letter of dispute, the card company must suspend the
charge, then they will contact Moss and will tell Moss that the charge is
under dispute and Moss must show that they issued a refund (or otherwise
prove that it's a valid charge), otherwise the charge stays
suspended/cancelled and you get a credit on your next statement if you
hadn't paid it yet.  You only have to pay if the item was never returned to
them or Moss can somehow otherwise show you do owe them the money.

hth,

- Tab