Re: Brake fluids and rubber parts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake fluids and rubber parts
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 23:48:36 -0400
The rumor I've heard is that DOT 4 swells the seals enough to make them -
seal.  And that DOT 5 does not - so old seals previously bathed in DOT 4
shrink in DOT 5 and no longer - seal.

Others who have had better luck than I with DOT 5 tell me it DOES work if
every single seal in the entire system is new.

Does this bear any resemblance to the truth? I'm still gonna stick with LMA.

Thanks,

Allen

>From: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>
>
>Allen,
>
>Apparently no one warned you that if your car has any hydraulic leaks at
>all, DOT 5
>will promptly show you where they are.
>
>Jim
>
>Florrie & Allen Bachelder wrote:
>
>> Finally, after listening to the debate for years, ' thought I'd try DOT 5
>> myself last summer.  Despite THOROUGH flushing, in less than 400 miles my
>> calipers were leaking.  In 15 years and untold hundreds of thousands of
>> miles, I have NEVER had an MGB caliper leak.  You can bet I was back on DOT
>> 4 LMA (and new calipers!) in a matter of hours!  I learned my lesson.
>>
>> Allen

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         New Castle, VA 24127