Re: Right angle speedometer drive on o/d gearbox

To: Peter Schauss <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Right angle speedometer drive on o/d gearbox
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 08:32:40 -0600
Peter Schauss wrote:

> I am in the final stages of installing an overdrive transmission in
> my '80 MGB.  Can someone tell me how the right angle drive
> should be oriented?   If I point it straight toward the front of
> the car, it hits the back of the overdrive unit.  Pointing it in
> any other direction does not seem to be any improvement
> over connecting it directly.
>
> The PO of this gearbox appears to have connected the cable
> without the right angle drive.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter Schauss
> Long Island, NY
> 1963 BJ7
> 1980 MGB

The PO was probably tired of replacing the angle drives.  If you route
the cable carefully, there is more than enough of it to run from the
transmission to the speedometer.  Make sure you have the OD cable as it
is some longer than the non-OD cable.  The angle drive is the weak link
and cause way more problems than they solve.
--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO