reasons to switch from a pair of 6V batteries to a 12v

To: Jouke Bloem <jbloem@bart.nl>, mgs List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: reasons to switch from a pair of 6V batteries to a 12v
From: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 10:46:22 -0500
Jouke,

In a nutshell:

1. A much, much more powerful battery in the same if not smaller size than a
single 6
volt. A compact 12 volt can provide 600-900 CCA for less than $60.
2. Longevity. The same 12 volt will outlast a pair of 6 volt batteries 2:1.
3. Limited maintenance of the new designs found in 12 volt batteries. Even if
you don't
buy a maintenance free battery (no need for that), the modern 12 volt models
require so
little attention that you might forget where the battery compartment is.
4. Fewer cable pieces and fewer battery connectors mean a more trouble free
electrical
system.
5. Lower cost: I think my last one was 875 CCA, 60 month battery for $50-60 at
K-Mart.
6. These days I have stopped buying those big, heavy marine batteries for my
boat too. I
got tired of replacing those $125 behemoths every one or two seasons. Now the
boat, and
the MGB, and the MGA all use the same battery model.
7. For some inexplicable reason the 12 volt battery terminals stay much cleaner
and free
of corrosion than do the ones on the 6 volt batteries.

I'm sure there are even more reasons to make the conversion, but this should
suffice.

Jim