Re: voltage stabiliser

To: "Colin Brown" <ccbrown@whitesea.co.uk>, <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: voltage stabiliser
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:46:17 -0000
It's not critical, it just affects the calibration (loose term) of the
gauges.  Far from being a 'stabiliser' the device interrupts the 12v supply
a couple of times a second.  It does this with a heating coil wound on a
bi-metal strip that opens and closes a contact i.e. mechanical moving parts
i.e. affected by gravity.  Of course, by the time this pulsing voltage is
applied to the gauge which also has a heating coil wound on a bi-metal
strip, this time moving the pointer, it is relatively stable.  However if
you look carefully you should be able to see the needle pulsing slightly.
What may not be appreciated about this technologically advanced system is
that it also incorporates ambient temperature compensation.  On a hot day
the gauge would tend to read higher (coil heat + ambient) but by the same
token the stabiliser is switching the 12v through to the gauge for less
time, so cancelling out the effects of the ambient.  Which is why an
electronic replacement for the electro-mechanical stabiliser may not give
such accurate (another loose term) results at the gauge.

Replacement tanks and transmitters can affect the 'calibration' of the gauge
significantly, but the gauge is adjustable for both min and max, as viewers
of my web site (select 'Spanners', 'Electrics' and Gauges') will know.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
(or if that URL doesn't work try   )
(http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1 )