Re: Jump Start

To: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>, Scott Regel <SRegel@dpra.com>,
Subject: Re: Jump Start
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 13:15:51 -0500 (EST)
1) It is my understanding that you can even jump different-polarity cars as
long as you put the negative cable on the battery terminal itself and not
the body of the vehicle.  I confess to never having tried it myself.

2) Not to start a thread on the "Right Way to jump" (probably too late) but
I have always jumped vehicles connecting neg-to-neg, then pos-to-pos.  I
have seen some official instructions on a cable set indicating the opposite
(that is, pos first), but never understood why.  By connecting the negs up
first you ensure there's a return path for when you go to do the pos's, or
so I've thought.  I've jumped a lot of cars this way (living in toasty New
England) and have never had a problem, but if someone knows why pos should
connect first, I'd like to hear it.

3) I always have the jumper running, and the jumpee of course is off, and I
hook them up.  Depending on how drained the jumpee is, they may need to be
hooked up only for 5 seconds to get it started, or twenty minutes if it's
really shot.  Keep in mind to drive the jumpee for a while after (I usually
give it a good 30 to 45 minutes) to give the alternator a chance to
recharge the battery.

4) Also, it never hurts to own a battery charger.  I have one I paid maybe
$35 for - don't really recall - that I had been using for my lawn mower,
but had chance to use it on my Toyota the other day.  I had left the dome
light on or something and had not gone near it for nearly a week (driving
my B instead) and it was well and dead by the time I went to turn it on.
Unfortunately, it is an automatic, and was in my garage.  Not a problem - I
figured I'd roll it out and jump the battery with another vehicle as donor.
 Alas, it has a safety device that precludes the transmission from being
shifted when the engine isn't running, so I had no way to shift it from
Park to Neutral to allow it to be pushed out of the garage (of course, it
was in nose first).  I ended up having to use the battery charger.  The
only other alternative would have been to borrow some Really Long jumper
cables from my local mechanic, or to make a new entrance to the garage.

- Tab
'78B

At 12:40 PM 12/13/99 -0500, James H. Nazarian wrote:
>Hi Scott,
>
>Your 1976 MGB is wired "negative to ground"; so is virtually every car
made since
>at least 1970. If you are going to jump start from another vehicle,
confirm that
>both cars have their negative lead (should be black) grounded to the frame or
>body close to the battery. If you confirm that, be certain the two cars
are not
>touching metal to each other, then clamp one end of your jumper cable set
to a
>piece of wood, again confirm that the two clamps do not touch each other.
Take