Alcohol and driving (long)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Alcohol and driving (long)
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 03:12:41 +0000
OK guys,

I DON'T want to get the old "fuel price debate" running again, but
seeing as this topic drew so much interest, you might be interested in
some SPAM I just received. Firstly, however, I am not going to post the
URL... this would be tantamount to forwarding SPAM.  If you really want
it, write to me off list and I will pass it on.

NOT THAT I WANT TO PROMOTE THE BOOK THEY ARE SELLING! I use this spam
simply as a starting point for thoughts that the list may have.

Has anyone had any experience on running alcohol fuelled vehicles - or
alcohol/gasoline mix.  Do you think it is practical to get a licence,
distill your own alcohol and use it to fuel your car?

I quote:

"Whether used as "torpedo juice" or fueling an "Indy 500" race car, the
rumors are correct; corn whisky and wood alcohol are viable alternative
fuels, within limits and if you know how."

"The technology for production and use of both petroleum-derived and
biomass-produced alcohol is extensively developed and quite
sophisticated. There is, however, a significant paucity of information
describing the "nuts and bolts" of alcohol production and use by the
individual. Like searching for the proverbial needle-in-a-haystack, in
order to find the how one must ingest an enormous amount of why, where,
and who. Therein lies the purpose of this book; to deliver the "how."

"You can make alcohol in your backyard, you can use alcohol to fuel your
car, heat your home, even for cooking, lights or whatever. It won't be
easy, and you may even conclude (within some circumstances) that it's
not practical, but it can be done."

Hmmmmmmmm... for all those who wanted a "Gas Free Friday" or whatever it
was.  Here is your chance!

Eric