Midgets & Sprites

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midgets & Sprites
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:52:32 -0500
I drove a Mark I Midget, 1963, as a daily driver for about 6 years. It
was mechanically a Bugeye with "updated" sheet metal, same 948 /
smoothcase/drums/side curtains. I swapped in a 1098 first, then a 1275,
using a web case tranny for both. Updated the radiator with a crossflow,
changed to front disks, & a late model 3.70 rear from an '80 Midget. It
was not necessary to change either the clutch or brake master cylinders,
but I did change the clutch slaves.

This car, with a stock 1275 & the original 4.11 gears was faster to 50
mph than any stock B of any year that I ever saw. Don't know the skid
pad numbers, but the racing Spridgets run by Jimmy Carter (not the Pres)
at Summit Point in the 70's kicked everyone's butt in their class. He
ran all 3 classses, won in all.

Jim Stuart