Re: Another one bites the dust

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: Another one bites the dust
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:56:17 -0800
On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 11:27:53AM -0800, Dodd, Kelvin wrote:
> with a 3.5L, block hugger headers and the stock single exhaust.  This is
> going to be my daily ride, so the more off the shelf parts the better.

Very good point.

>       Building the V6 demonstrated how many problems need to be surmounted
> to build a one off conversion.  I don't have the time or energy to reinvent
> the wheel (badly) again.  I enjoy driving the cars as well as tinkering.

I agree with you there.  It took me a while to realize that I have very
limited time to play with cars, if I want a life outside of the garage.
I  have to contantlyu remind myself that I need to focus
on the project at hand.
If I do (when I do) another "oneoff" it will be a purpose built
race car.  That is after I get my MGBGT built up to
my satisfaction.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to restrain my enthusiasm
once I get the Rx7 rear end in it.  Although it is very frustrating
the way she is pulling so strong until about 6,000 RPM (my new tach says
5500, but compared to the speedo it's about 10% lower than the old one).
This of course makes me want to get a lighter valve train, and while I'm
at it, get some head work done...

>       The alloy V8 is long toothed, but historical.  It's torque is suited
> to the kind of driving I enjoy.  I'm a believer in "what if" projects.  So
> installing a Rover 16 valve engine into an MGB with modernised suspension
> would be of interest.  Sticking a high tech Japanese engine into a regular B
> is not to my taste.  However the thought of building an MGB with Miata
> powertrain stimulates my sense of evil scientist.

It's scary how we even have some of the same dream projects.  Although I
have a voice that keeps asking if enough weight could be taken out of a Miata
to make it as fun to drive as an MG.  Then again I really miss my spridgets.
While I have a hard time believing that one could get much more than about
90 reliable/tractable hp out of a series A, the spridgets are an
absolute blast to drive, compared to them MGBs seem like lorries.

So many projects, so little time/money.

--
Computer guru:  Someone who read the manual.
lrc@red4est.com                                 http://www.red4est.com/lrc