Muffling Air Compressor

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Muffling Air Compressor
From: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 09:13:51 -0500
The thread on garages got me back to work on installing an air
compressor for my shop that has been disconnected since a move to a new
house late last year.  I got it wired up with no problem (there was an
unused 230 volt circuit breaker from a long since disconnected electric
hot water heater that had wires going to the approximate position) and
started it up for the first time last night.

Wow - it is loud.  The compressor is a 6 HP single stage with a 80
gallon tank.  Presently it is in my basement over in a corner and when
it is running I can hear it all over the house.  I plan on running
piping to the areas of the shop (also in the basement) and to a two car
attached garage that is directly under one of the bedrooms.  But the
sound it is putting off make me wonder if having it in the basement is
the best idea or if it should be relocated outside the house somewhere.
Or if it can be sound-proofed or muffled someway.

My current thought is to stud in a small closet for the compressor, and
put fiberglas insulation in all walls and the top of the closet in hopes
of containing the sound.  I like the idea of having it inside so the air
temp is somewhat constant.

Has any one on the list sound proofed an air compressor, and if so, how
and to what effect?

M. W. Jordan, Jr.
Marietta, GA
1960 MGA 1600