Re: No start

To: <niederst@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: No start
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 12:15:16 -0500
Craig:

I've been clogging up the bandwidth on the Spridgets list with posts about
by recent ignition problems.  On my '74 Midget, I converted from a failed
electronic ignition system to points and condensor.  I employed the "ground
yourself against the car" method of checking for spark, and wow did I get
one.

But I still wasn't getting spark at the plugs.  I found out after hours and
hours of checking and narrowing things down that I had acquired not one, not
two, but three brand new Lucas rotors which were non-functional.  I fetched
the ten-year old rotor that came with the car out of the garbage, and sure
enough, it started right up.

I'd go right ahead and open up the distributor.  Things I had to address
included: a broken spring on the vacuum unit, a frayed connection on the LT
lead, dirty springs under the distributor plate, the distributor drive gear
disengaged from the engine because my clamping plate had become bent, and I
accidentally burned out my condensor by testing the dizzy with a 12V battery
charger.  (If you must test, set the charger for 6V!)

I couldn't believe that the car was running for as long as it did.

And this was besides the standard tune-up regimen of new cap, rotor, points,
condensor, plug wires, and plugs.  I also had to find the old ignition wire,
which had been mangled by the DPO when the electronic system was installed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
Bloomfield, NJ

P. S.   The car didn't start until the day when I replaced the Lucas decal
on my coil.