Into and Out of service

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Into and Out of service
From: Gonaj@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:22:58 EST
In a recent post, Re: new to MGs, Allen responded as to how to procede with a
car being returned to service.
His comment re. oil change gave rise to some thoughts gained from my
experiences with antique boat engines,  all applicable to LBCs being put up
for seasonal storage.
These notes are about oil, use conventional wisdon concerning coolant and
fuel sys..

I)  Change the oil before storing.  Combustion byproducts which bypass the
rings combine with the oil.  When moisture from condensation is added it
creates an acidic enviornment which will attack the bearings and journals.

2)   Remove the spark plugs and fog the engine with Mystery oil or WD 40 and
turn the engine over a few times then replace the plugs.

3)  Change the oil again before putting the car back in service.  Similar
reason, the moisture is already there, you'll be adding combustion byproducts
ti this mix.

George