Re: LBCs in the snow; little LBC content

To: Mike Lishego <mlishego@asheboro.com>
Subject: Re: LBCs in the snow; little LBC content
From: Steve Hubschmitt <hubschsm@delanet.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 10:22:27 -0500

Mike Lishego wrote:

> Out of everything I've ever driven in the snow (including numerous
> FWD cars, RWD trucks and 4x4 Blazers and off-road trucks) my MGB
> went the best in the snow, hands down.....

I've never driven an LBC in the snow;  too much fear of kicking up the
salt that is liberally used on the highways around here.
But I can't imagine any (older) two wheel drive vehicle being much
better in the deep white stuff than a '67 VW Beetle I had years ago.
In the mid 70's, we had an snowstorm of 9-10" (big for our area -
southern New Jersey). Got a call late in the evening from a gal I was
seeing on occasion that was feeling a bit lonely at the moment, and
asked me to make the 20 mile drive for a visit.  Let's just say it was
tough for me to turn the prospects of that call down, so I jumped in the
Bug and headed her way.  Heading up the Interstate, I couldn't go a 1/2
mile without seeing a vehicle of some sort off the road and in one of
the numerous fields lining the highway.  But the Bug just ploughed right
on through and got me there with no trouble.
I agree that skinny tires probably had a lot to do with the traction,
not to mention the weight of the drivetrain sitting on top of the drive
wheels.
And yes, as I recall, it was worth the drive....

Steve
'71 B, still sitting and sitting and...