Re: Need help on GT hatch stays

To: "Carl Elliott" <grunt2@adelphia.net>, "mga" <mga@napanet.net>,
Subject: Re: Need help on GT hatch stays
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:33:00 -0800
I'm afraid that's not really an accurate description, Carl.

At least on all the GTs I've worked on, the chrome domed piece in the middle
of the chrome spring cover is like a domed speed nut. It has a set of grippy
teeth on the inside that just press down over a stud around which the spring
is wrapped, (and from which one does not want to try and remove the spring
because it is very strong!)
The smaller one at the edge of the spring cover is the same type of thing.

Both these can be removed by prying under their edges. The new ones
(available from Moss under numbers 472-375 and 472-385) are fitted by gently
bearing down on them and pressing them in place. From past experience, I can
tell you that trying to hammer them on will dent them................

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center