MGA Charging problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA Charging problem
From: Sam Perera <sam_perera@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 07:29:53 -0800 (PST)
I'm having problems on my 60 MGA with the charging
system. When it is idle, there is absolutely no power
reaching the battery - it idles at about 1000rpm. I
almost have to rev the engine to 2000rpm before I see
any chrage back to the battery. The system is still on
the generator with a negative ground 12v system. I
also have an ammeter attched which allows me to see
the + and - charge as the revs decrease or increases.
Its also a brand new battery. I have been checking the
system with a cheap alternator/generator battery
tester with led lights.

Is there anyway to correc this problem or even check
if it is normal etc ...

Thanks

Sam

=====