Re: Cars, Cars, Cars (long-ish but hopefully worth the read)

To: Maynard078@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cars, Cars, Cars (long-ish but hopefully worth the read)
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 12:05:32 -0500
> 1.) 1972 Triumph Spitfire (purchased new in partnership with my cousin
> when I was all of 14 years old. I still have the darned thing. Can't say
the > same about the cousin.) Great little car, and the ultimate chick
magnet
> when  you're a 17-year old. Or so I've heard.

Not the ultimate.  MGAs and MGBs have more 'chick appeal' than any
Triumph... the difference is that girls view the Triumph as more of a male
sports car (loud and growly) while the MGA and MGB have more pleasant lines
and are 'cuter'; that said... driving my TR6 in HS got me quite a lot of
attention, and since no had an MGB... I only had to compete with the hot
hatches, 2.L Mustangs and V6 Camaros.

I might as well contribute my VERY short list...

1966 MGB - Purchased when I was 14, on Mother's day... my mum's a pretty
good sport though, expect to see her at Norristown this coming weekend.  The
extent of restoration this car needed really surpassed this kid's technical
skill at the time and it has withered away ever since...

1974 Triumph TR6 - What else would a teenager, just turned seventeen,
purchase with a few thousand dollars buring a hole in his pocket.  Quite
fortunately though, I managed to stumble across a rust-free (YES!) well
sorted car on my first outing to find one... the next weekend it was mine.
Although, I do regret not getting over to see the TVR 2500M that was also
advertised that weekend in the paper... but I have a feeling that the TVR
wouldn't have faired well considering how I've treated the TR6; one crash in
the summer (repaired), much abuse to the driveline from my teenage antics...
and yet the TR6 hammered on and never let me down when with a member of the
fairer sex.

The Future?  I hope to purchase another TR6 this summer, and perhaps give my
'74 to my mother... which I hope will allow her to forgive me for making her
go on wild parts chases, escorting spare TR6 motors home... and for not
killing me for crashing the TR6 DAYS after I got my drivers licence, and
most importantly for allowing me to stash car parts in every nook and crany
of the house and associated grounds buildings.

> Greg Perigo
> editor
> MG Magazine, the official publication for MG enthusiasts
> www.mg-magazine.com

chocks away,

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu
1966 MGB -- 1974 Triumph TR6 -- 1981 Owner