Re: Starter???

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter???
From: David Lynes <cdlynes@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 23:46:56 -0500
Hi Larry

I saw your starter problem, and thought I would respond, since the same thing
had happened to my 73 Midget.  You are talking about your Midget aren't you?

What has happened is you have something like oil on the spinning shaft of the
starter, the cog that slides up and engages the flywheel.  I had mine lubed
with a little 30w oil, just a smidgen because I couldn't stand the thought of
putting it on without anything to protect the metal from the elements it
would surely be exposed to...

Anyway, what happens is the dust from the clutch falls down and mixes with
the oil, even that tiny little smidgen, and usually its no big deal.  But
when it gets as cold as it has lately, the oil gets stiff and the dust makes
it even stiffer, and when you engage the starter, it either doesn't go all
the way out, or it gets stuck and doesn't come back.  I might mention that
our usual LBC oil leak from the rear seal will also cause the same thing to
happen.

The cog on the shaft spins out to the end to engage the flywheel, and when
the engine catches, it spins faster than the starter, and the cog spins back
down. Normally a nice little design.

I would suggest when you have a warm day, pull the starter off, clean out the
shaft and the cog thing with spray brake parts cleaner, let it dry
completely, then either put it back in with no lubrication, or dust it with
some dry graphite powder.

What you can do until then, I kept a really small hammer (LFH) under my seat
(indespensible tool), and when it gets stuck, pop the hood and tap the
starter either on the body, or at the exposed end of the shaft, watch out for
the dipstick and the oil filter.  And not hard enough to do any damage, just
a tap or two, and mine loosened up enough to work.  Mine always got stuck in
the disengaged position.

I'm willing to bet thats it, but it doesn't explain the time it didn't even
spin...

David Lynes, Woodstock, GA
73 Midget
78 MGB