Weekend at the races

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Weekend at the races
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 18:04:01 +1100
Hi all,

Just got back from my second day at Oran Park raceway watching the Historics
go round. Lots of eye candy. :) MG's galore, would have seen at least 40.
Oldest was a 1933 J type supercharged special. I caught up with Tony Todd
who's on the MG Technical BBS, and just happens to live around the corner
from me. Tony races a 1960 MGA 1600 in Marque Sports. The car has a mildy
modified 1800 B engine. Number 182 btw. He was pretty happy I think as his
lap times kept improving throughout the weekend. I clocked the fastest MGB
around there at 54seconds, so you can see it's a small track. I've taken 75
or so pics so I'll post some of them up on my website early next week. I
think my favorite was a gorgeous BRG Elan that did a nice pirouette right in
front of me. There were plenty of Loti around, a couple of 11's, quite a few
Europa's and a few more Cortina's. I couldn't believe how fast the Mini
Cooper's were, one came third to a couple of cars which must have been at
least triple it's capacity. Another highlight were the duo of Shelby Mustang
V8's, one which progressively came closer and closer to the wall until...
yep. Those two were constantly sideways through the corners, and the crowd
loved it. OK if you like V8's I s'pose. ;) Another interesting car was the
flathead v8 ford special, supercharged. Wow, that thing was quick for it's
age. Oh and the personal highlight for me, seeing Eric Rudd's CGT going
around the track. Woohoo! When that thing got given the gas it made a very
very nice sound. In fact if you closed your eyes, you'd swear it was a
Healey. I s'pose the engines have quite a bit in common. The driver wasn't
keen to push the car hard through the corners, and fair enough too, but on
the exit it just took off. I can't wait to modify my car. <G>

I'll post back when the pics are online. I'm sure Eric in Adelaide is just
drooling in anticipation. <G> ;)

Cheers,
Neil
--