Re: cut-of switch - come on people! Think!

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cut-of switch - come on people! Think!
From: "Tony Woodruff" <tonyw@mailmedia.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 07:20:32 -0800
Anybody seen the new Sears battery that has a "remote control" like a modern
car?  It cuts off power with a key fob - but it's VERY expensive, and I don't
know if it comes in a Group 26.

Also....Although I agree with the idea of cutting off the Grounded side of the
circuit for safety reasons, that also makes it easier for a person to get
around it!  All they have to do is establish ground with the battery (like with
a jumper cable) and they're in business.  That's harder to do with the "current
load" side because it's unclear exactly where to put the other end of the cable!

I won't be doing either solution.  I had a switch under the passenger seat of
my old MGC that cut off power to the fuel pump when I parked the car.  That way
I didn't lose my radio presets!

Tony Woodruff
67 MGB Roadster

>>> <wizardz@toad.net> 2/9/00 8:16:09 PM >>>
Come on everyone... think!
if EITHER side of the battery is disconnected
EVERYTHING electrical is without power!
(no return path to the power source)

( as a reference for from where I speak....
These days I'm an electronics/robotics/software
engineer working on automating the manufacturing and
testing of Passive Fiber Optic Couplers.)
I've spent quite a bit of time pondering this one myself
from an engineering stand point.

In the end, there is only one really good argument for which
one to disconnect. Disconnect the battery terminal wired
to the chassis of your car. (pos. or neg. depending on you
chassis ground scheme)

>From a safety standpoint (the only feasible argument)
you won't have to worry about shorting across the contacts
with a wrench.

I use to always think the pos. side should be disconnected
to stop any wiring from having V+ on it and possibly shorting
to the body work or other wires.
But you don't have to worry about this. With the chassis disconnected
from the battery, where could electricity flow?

So... disconnect the chassis to battery connection.

Paul Tegler   wizardz@toad.net     http://www.teglerizer.com
1973 MGBGT - daily driver
 http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/ob_description.htm
1978 Spitfire - in superb Shape