Re: emissions and my future as an LBC hobbyist

To: mwjose@u.arizona.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: emissions and my future as an LBC hobbyist
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:18:37 EST
In a message dated 2/14/00 3:27:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mwjose@u.arizona.edu writes:

<< So what do I do?
 I want to try all suggestions to make this car pass, but after that, I
 dont' know what to do.  I could sell it for a loss to someone out of
 state so he can enjoy it;  I can save up and buy another car to drive
 whil I let this one sit until something happens or I move;  I can buy an
 earlier body in good condition and transplant the gear from my car into
 it;  I could convert to a different carb, or electronic ignition, or
 even an engine from a more modern car, such as a Mazda rotary.
 Any suggestions to a man who really misses his car? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Boy, that all sounds frustrating.  I'm afraid that all I can give is moral
support.  I would suggest making sure that EVERYTHING is set to factory
specs, esp. timing and mixture.  And catalytic converters don't last forever,
so a new one may help considerably.  Replace all the filters, esp. the air
filter, since it can cause a change in the mixture.  Adjust the valve lash?
Have you done a compression test?  Bad rings can muck up the emissions.

Good luck.  You could move to PA and register it as a classic car.  No
emissions inspection.  You'd wonder why they are so anal about emissions in
AZ.  There probably aren't that many cars per sq. mile.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport