Re: Tire question for engineers

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: Tire question for engineers
From: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:26:08 -0700 (MST)
On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Barney Gaylord wrote:

> Okay, so hang all other parameters, and you have the race tires nailed down
> (slicks), and now you just want tires that haul ass on the street.
>
> First rule of thumb: If it's more then 40 horsepower inch of tread width
> you're screwed on all counts no matter what kind of rubber compoumd it has.
>
> Second rule of thumb, If the tires are more than 8" wide on a 2000 pound
> car they won't warm up quick enough to be fully effective at autocrossing,
> so don't get too carried away with extra width.

Thanks Barney,
Trying to get this formula was just as much a math exercise as it was for
actual use on the car.  While I haven't given up on the formula yet (from
a math perspective) the stuff you provided covers my needs for acutal use
on the car.  These two ROT should work very well.

Thanks to everyone who helped out offering whatever advice that they had
to offer.

James Nazarian
'71 B roadster
'71 BGT rust free and burnt orange