Re: WIERD! no difference but it's still on!

To: <wizardz@toad.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: WIERD! no difference but it's still on!
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 20:26:53 -0000
Does the ignition warning light come on when you first turn on the ignition
and go out once the engine is started and revved to about 900 rpm?  If not
it should.

Usually, not charging until 2-3000 rpm is reached is an indication that the
'priming' voltage from the ignition through the warning light is not
reaching the internals of the alt, accompanied by no warning light under any
circumstances.

The warning light white *usually* connects to the rest of the white circuits
at the multi-plug near the steering column.  Any bad connections 'upwind' of
this can cause volt-drops on the white side of the warning light, which will
cause it to glow at some level because it still has full charging voltage on
the other side.

Another cause could be bad connections between the alt and the battery
causing the output voltage to rise.  This could explain your 20v, but would
be mutually exclusive with the 'no charge' thing unless you have two
intermittent faluts - not impossible.  This fault would also cause slow
cranking at times.

Measure the voltage on each side of the warning light, when it is glowing,
to a good ground.  Whichever side *doesn't* have normal charging voltage -
i.e. your 13.8v to 14.1v - with the engine running at 1000rpm plus and a
minimal load has the problem, be it a voltage higher *or* lower than normal.

PaulH.