Re: Blasted DPO <G>, MGA Floors etc. Continuing to rave!

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Subject: Re: Blasted DPO <G>, MGA Floors etc. Continuing to rave!
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:58:29 -0600
At 05:39 PM 2/29/2000 -0600, Peter C. wrote:
>At 01:36 PM 2/29/2000 , Barney Gaylord wrote:
>>Being thicker and gelatively light weight the plywood ..... snip
>
>... wouldn't that allow it to "jiggle"?

No, but OOPS!  May the world please excuse me, for I have misspoken myself
in that last message when I said (and I quote myself):

At 01:36 PM 2/29/2000 -0600, Barney Gaylord wrote:
>Being thicker and gelatively light weight the plywood has a much lower
resonance frequency than sheet metal, so it vibrates less and absorbs more
noise energy. ....

What I really meant to say was that the plywood has a HIGHER resonance
frequency, which prevents it from vibrating or "drumming" at the
frequencies present in the chassis of a running MG.

It wouldn't "jiggle" (wiggle or move around?) if it was screwed down
firmly.  However, I will rashly assume that you are refering to
"vibration".  As the plywood is thick it is relatively stiff compared to
the weight, which endows it with the mystical ability to resist motion
being induced by the vibration of the chassis.  This is the property which
keeps it quiet.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg